Friday, September 29, 2006

This Title is Funny, Trust Me


The University of Chicago from above.
Pierce Tower should be circled in red if you click on the picture.


So I've survived my first week of college classes, which is reassuring. And yet, it still doesn't feel like I'm a college student. I have the little laptop bag across my shoulder, I've discussed how we know whether a given object is real, I've spent 80 minutes in Media Aesthetics talking about a single painting (Las Meninas). But I don't feel any different.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it hasn't happened yet. I still am spending half of my brain power thinking about whether sentences I hear contain puns and/or double entendres. I am still wearing different colored socks. Perhaps next week my life will dramatically change. But I doubt it.

Maybe I should talk a bit more about my classes. I am in four - the aforementioned Media Aesthetics, which is for my Humanities Core requirement; Calculus, which I was really hoping to avoid but the humor of my teacher (Professor Smuckler) getting chalk all over his shirt on a regular basis makes up for it; Democracy and the Social Sciences for my Social Science core; and Music Theory which is an elective and so far is the best of the four.

We also had our RSO (Registered Student Organizations) fair today, and now I'm on about 10 more mailing lists than I was this morning from juggling to music to politics to mock trial. I spent about an hour and a half juggling with the juggling people. I also got enough free candy to make an entire meal. Dinner. I ate candy for dinner. Anyway, We'll see how many of those RSOs I can cram into my schedule, in between writing papers about Las Meninas and calculus homework.





Also, Chicago is the only place I have been to where there is a restaurant that serves you from behind bulletproof glass. It's Harold's Chicken, and it's really good, but you order from a person who's behind bulletproof glass and they give you your order in a rotating bulletproof glass thing. See the picture. Also, they have a sign saying they won't take your order if you are on a cell phone.

No comments: