Friday, September 15, 2006

It's Raining

Yeah. It's raining outside. But inside Wolman 6th floor, the sun always shines!!!!!

Okay, so, I've been here for what, almost 2 weeks? 2 weeks! And classes have started, you know, I'm having a lot of fun (what? hopkins? fun!? yes my friends, lots and lots of fun...) I'm getting emails from these random groups I signed up for, etc etc. I think Ben (UMD) mentioned this regarding sept. 11, but I am going to expand. In college, you really are responsible for your own learning. The professors don't tell you the homework--you are expected to read the syllabus! And you don't get an assignment book. So right now I am copying all my hws from the syllabi (sp?) into my little freshman planner. And here's another big difference from high school. Professors generally don't care what you have to say, especially in intro classes. I mean, its totally understandable. I'm just not used to the teacher NOT going over something a few times, the confused and pained looks of my classmates and I, waving arms, you know. You just kind of sit there, mark if you have a question, and go over it at your TA session, if you have one. But if you don't, I guess you just make an appt with a professor.

Which brings me back to my point about taking initiative--you have to seek out everything for yourself here, because no one is doing it for you. But I am lucky enough to be in two small classes, and one 30 person class. One is a freshmen seminar and one is just a section for majors (writing seminars) even though I'm undecided about my major. The first question everyone here asks is" what's your major?" I am seriously in the minority here, not knowing. Nope, chief, I am truly undecided. Another thing: so far, the people here are just really fascinating. On our floor, there is someone from basically every part of the country, and everyone has a really unique story. An example: there are people who've lived in another country for 8 years. Most people are just really engaged and interested and curious about everything.

Okay folks, time to get back to work before shabbat, hillel, you know, the good stuff...
peace, love, biomedical engineering,
Lauren

No comments: