Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A NU Life

First, I'd like to say I'm trying to satisfy David with an interesting post title (play on words, NU is like new and northwestern university), but I'm not that original.

I officialy began my stay at Northwestern University at 3:00 p.m. on September 11. The place: Northwestern University's own Hillel building, at an overnight program known as Freshman Fest. Basically, me and 100 other clueless freshman spent the night in the Hillel building, meeting people, making friends to last a lifetime, and having tons of fun.

Well, thats the goal at least.

In truth, I spent the first half feeling awkward, not being able to make conversation with a single soul, and feeling generally miserable.

But, things got better. I played Ultimate Frisbee, and met a few kids that I became friends with. None of them were the greatest people I've ever known, but I talked with one girl for over an hour (new Facebook friend), and I played Frisbee and got to know a couple of other kids for about an hour and a half. However, by moving in day, I haven't spoken to any of them, I forget half their names, and I don't know where they live. Ah, the difficulties of college.

Anyways, the plan was to meet even more new people today, after moving in. Instead, I still know...no one, I'm in a cramped room, and I brought way too much stuff. However, from the positive side-everyone is hopefully in the same situation, and I'm sure I'll meet a bunch of people.

I hope.

3 comments:

Ben (UMD) said...

Don't sweat it - they say that you never end up hanging out with the people you hang out with for the first weekend, anyway. How's your roommate?

Carmel (Wellesley) said...

if it makes you feel any better, I doubt your orientation/1st week experience could be worse than mine. it improves as classes start and you slip into that familiar JDS-work mode we've all perfected.

Matthew (Northwestern) said...

I hate to say it carmel-I never perfected that JDS-work mode, because I never really slipped into it, but I still hope that your right that once classes start it'll get better.