Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Relationships, Neuroscience and Phemerones

Most people think of me as a math/science guy, and I've chosen to post this to basically dispel that notion, which I previously thought was correct.

The first part of my post will dispel the science part of that statement. While I always thought I was one, college leads to discoveries, the first which was made last night. As I sat through a mandatory lecture entitled, "Venomous Fish and Vicious Snails," essentially on neuroscience, my mind started to wander. It was at that point that I realized: I'm bored out of my mind. In fact, I've felt the same way in my chemistry and physics class, and that I'm always zoning out constantly. Since I've been here, the only homework I've done has been my calculus and computer programming homework, while my Physics and Chemistry has sat idly by untouched. It was at this point that I asked myself: if I couldn't pay attention, I didn't want to do the work, and I wondered why I took the class, then do I really like science? And when I realized the answer was no, I laughed to myself. As some of you know, the name of program is the Integrated Science Program, which means that, as long as I stay in, I'll probably be bored in 50% of my classes in college. Well, that's what college is about: finding your true interests.

The second part of the post is a part of my personality that often stays hidden. As some of you may know, my mother is a therapist, and I this made me think, during the same lecture, as to how my relationships and friendships have begun at college. The first interesting one is a girl named Lina, whom I manage to see all the time and I thoroughly enjoy talking to. How we met is an interesting story. My first night on campus, I was talking to a girl whom I liked talking to a lot, but I stopped talking to her to go play ultimate Frisbee. While I was going to talk to her when I came back, I couldn't find her, so instead I started up a conversation with two people who happened to live in my building. A week later, I ran into one of those two kids, Brian, at a president's convocation, and I met one of his friends, Neena, who happened to leave on my floor. We had lunch, along with some more new friends, including Tapasia, and later exchanged numbers with all of them. Later, I became friends with Neena, and I invited her to a Jewish party with me. She invited Tapasia, and we went down to the lobby to wait for her. As we were waiting, we saw one girl doing her Physics homework in the lounge. Her name was Lina, and I believe we are in the process of becoming close friends. Which basically means, that through five people I met one person.

The one other brief thing about relationships I want to say is to talk about phemerones, or something like it. There are three people I met at college: Neena, Aanad, and Jess--that with fifteen minutes of meeting them, I could tell that I wanted to be friends with them. Now, they didn't say that much, but I believe the reason is phemerones. When I met them, I could just tell that there was some part of their personality that I wanted to get to know better, and since that moment in time, I've gotten to know them better. Now, theoretically, it would seem impossible to know such a thing after such a small interaction: however, I believe they felt the same way, and I'm pretty sure that they will become some of my closest friends here.

Anyways, hope the rest of your college experience is going well. Remember to post, and as my good friend Evan always says: its curtains for you!

7 comments:

Ben (UMD) said...

You mean pheromones? And I believe that has to do with smell - I think what you are writing about is just a clicking of personalities. Which is great and all, but I don't think you wanted to be friends with them because you smelled something from them.

I also like how the first half of your post is like an essay, with a topic sentence. And can you switch out of the program easily if you don't like it, or is it more of a mess?

Ezra said...

I think it's possible that a lot of people aren't friends with me because of my smell.

Matthew (Northwestern) said...

I knew I was mispelling the word, but I wasn't sure exactly where the misspelling occured. Anyways, I read somewhere that pheremones or something like it basically is the subconscious attraction between other people, but I could be wrong. The other thing, for the program-I could switch out, and a lot of people do it-but, the normal program doesn't hold that prestige, plus I'd just major in math outside the program, or double major in math and ISP if I stayed in... so why not just stay in?

Ben (UMD) said...

Because you don't like it? If you double major in math and ISP, then half the classes are classes you don't like. If you major in math, then half the classes can be classes you want to take. A big difference there.

And it all depends on what you want to do. If you really like computer programming, why not double major in that and math? That has a career focus. If you don't want to go into science, ISP loses a lot of its prestige. If you want to be a computer programmer, majoring in Math and ISP looks a lot worse than majoring in Math and Computer Science. And you don't have to suffer through all your science classes.

Matthew (Northwestern) said...

I know your right Ben-i just figure I'll make a decision after this year and once I've taken basic computer programming. Who knows though?

Ben (UMD) said...

I was suggesting choose now - give it some time and really know what you want.

Ben (UMD) said...

Gah, meant to say "wasn't" not "was".