Friday, September 22, 2006

30.4368499 Days (That’s The Average Length Of A Month or A Possible Title For A New “Rent” Song)

Long title—I know. It’s all I could think of. But I digress. I’m sitting in the Raleigh/Durham airport waiting for my flight home for the (high) holidays and normally I’d just be listening to some music pre-flight. However, my 5pm flight has been delayed 2 ½ hours…it would have been faster to drive. Naturally, I bought some Internet time and figured this would be a good time to write a “reflective” blog entry.

Being that I was the first person to depart for college, I am also the first person to spend exactly one month in college (I left on the 22nd and I am going home on the 22nd). It’s probably been one of the craziest months of my life (as documented in my many posts), but really when I think about the first month, it has just been the “prologue” for the rest of my college career. Trust me I hate “novel” analogies, or anything having to do with books…but hear me out:

Everything up until this point has been a set up for the next four years. I have established a good group of friends, joined a major co-curricular club (apparently we have 3 shows next week, plus practices…Oy!) and have gotten back into the swing of classes and work. In fact, today was my very first test of college and on Tuesday my first short term paper is due. In other words, I actually have some semblance of a routine.

Sorry, I’ve gotten all mushy. Of course, not everything is perfect. Duke couldn’t win a football game against our former high school even if “that school” forfeited. I speak less to my roommate than Helen Keller spoke to Anne Sullivan. I can’t stand drunken people trying to give me hugs…actually I can’t stand hugs in general (especially 10-foot ones…Ben knows what I’m talking about). I use my food points way too often, rather than just eating in the marketplace off my meal plan. I’ve become dependent on my iPod to fall asleep at night and have created a playlist for everyday of the week (a little obsessive, right?). But really, none of the above “complaints” are all that important. I’m just trying to kill time in the airport. Maybe I should stop typing so fast.

Hopefully, there’ll be more “interesting” things to talk about during my second month at Duke but so far so good. I’m actually feeling so good that I won’t make a degrading remark about UNC…just kidding, they will eternally suck!

No comments: