Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Gameday with the claw, and other fairy tales

Alright.

Everyone else has told stories of their school that sort of represents who they are, while my last blog entry was me moping about in a depressed state of confusion at the start of classes. But after Ezra's crack about Northwestern (I hate to say it, but US News and World Report has got to be wrong), I figured I'd make a crack in return, and share a few other stories from Northwestern.

First off, on Saturday was Northwestern's third football game of the year, another one at home. Of course, the party started 3 hours before the game, at 10 a.m., when someone was banging on my door. While I was perturbed by the disturbance, I was curious as to its source. Low and behold, in the hallway are 2 seniors.
Their title: the travelling bar.
Their job: to give Freshman a shot of vodka at 10 in the morning.
The lesson: on an empty stomach, at 10 a.m., vodka is not the best way to wake up.

The second story comes from Northwestern's football game. Now, I know Daniel goes to Michigan, which played like a professional football team when they slaughtered Notre Dame. Northwestern, on the other hand, played like a high school football team and eaked out a victory against the awful Eastern Michigan. Of course, cheers at the game included sticking our hand up as a claw and yelling before every play, as well as shaking our keys before every kickoff. The reason: apparently, one day they'll be driving our cars, though according to Ezra, they will now be driving Ezra's cars.

Now a quick bash at Chicago: when a traveling group came to talk to us about sex, they had a joke as follows:
Aw man, I can talk to girls. I go to Northwestern, not Chicago.

The third story occured at 2 a.m. this morning. After watching a hypnotist and partying, everyone came back to the dorm of Elder, and talked in our hall. And talked. And talked. At about 3 a.m., we all moved into mine and my roommates room. Now, the dimensions of Northwestern's rooms in my hall are 12 by 15, but without the closet, drawer space, and big box next to the window (purpose: unknown), its about 12 by 12. Now, this meant, that for 23 people, each person had about 6 square feet of space. Now, including desks and the beds, this meant that we were all sitting on top of each other. Now, that's a party and a bonding experience, and that's why Northwestern beats out UChicago any day.

And finally, as I wind down and prepare for my first day of classes tomorrow, I want to leave you with some valuable advice that a wise man, named Evan, gave me before leaving for college.

"Be good to your teeth, or their be false to you"

3 comments:

Ezra said...

Someone's jealous...all I can say is that if sheer density of people is what you think makes college fun, we had a much more packed group at Kingston Mines last night, not to mention the close quarters of our 9 by 11 rooms.

Matthew (Northwestern) said...

Not jealousness-merely anger at the sad demise of my school's ranking since I've applied, making my belief in the falsity of US News increase exponentially.

Ezra said...

Tsk tsk. I suppose you think that your attendance at northwestern has nothing to do with their sudden, almost mysterious drop...

Honestly I really don't care, I just thought what the guy said at U of C convocation was funny.