Sunday, September 03, 2006

College is fun, I bet

If Daniel and David's posts are a ying and yang, I feel a little dot kinda far away that's sitting by itself. I will be in college soon enough - less than 2 weeks - but until then, I'm not, and it's pretty boring. There are still people here - a few of us Chicago people saw a movie together earlier today - but as I IM more with people who are now in college I get more and more impatient.

It's strange to think that I'm I talking to people, people I used to go to school with, who are now all over the country. Some people are in California, some in Michigan, Boston, New York....the list goes on. But from where I am, they're all still there in my AIM box, in the same order they always are, with the same mysterious screennames we've all used for years. It's hard to believe that they are living lives totally different than they were a month ago, because I am still in the same place and it seems like they might as well be talking to me from their homes here in Washington. This could be the end of any summer, when all my friends are on vacation but going to come home soon and we'll all go back to school together.

I wonder how it will feel when I'm in college. I'll still e-mail them the way I do now, talk on facebook like I do now, and on AIM I will still see them as their screennames. But I wonder, when I get to Chicago, once I join their world of new college kids, will it feel like we are all in different places, talking about similar experiences? Or will it feel like I've gone away, and they are still here, still at home, talking to me while I'm off in college? I really wonder.

Until then, of course, I'm still here, waiting until September 15th, when everything changes.

No comments: