Sunday, September 03, 2006

One Team. One Goal. One Win…well not yet

My latest entry is the “ying” to Daniel’s entry’s “yang.” Yesterday was also the beginning (and subsequent end) of our football season. Although you may only know the Blue Devils as a basketball powerhouse, we actually have a longstanding football tradition. As I entered Wallace Wade Stadium (Does that makes us Wallace Wade Wackos?) I noticed several banners touting our previous pig-skin success: ACC Champions 1956; Orange Bowl 1923; Highest Division 1 Football Graduation Rate 1963,1967, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1988, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2005.

OK, so things weren’t looking too great, but luckily our season opener was against the Division 1 AA Richmond Spiders. According to the school archivist, Duke had not lost against a Division 1 AA team since 1953 and had not lost against Richmond since…1920! So, let’s just say we really made history last night.

I took a seat with a group of friends in the student section where we jingled keys and used spirit fingers (both Duke traditions) to taunt the other team. And it worked…we held the Spiders to just 13 points. Of course, they held us to…wait for it…0! Yes, we were shut out, and it was terrible. There was a missed 25-yard field goal, a blocked field goal, 4 fumbles, and 3 missed opportunities on the 2-yard line!

However, I think my roommate took it the hardest. You see my 5-ft. roommate played high school football and expected that he could just walk on the team. During Orientation he met with the coach who first laughed at him (politely) and then offered him a position as a team manager. He’s very dedicated, going to 7 AM practices and setting up the game field 4 hours before the game. Unfortunately, when I returned to my room after the game I found the little manager lying on his bed eating Cheerios out of the box. All he would say was “Don’t want to talk about it.” There is an upside—at least for me. He gets to travel with the team, which means I have a single for the next 3 Saturdays.

I wasn’t originally going to write this entry (it’s very embarrassing) but then I found out UNC also lost—Woo Hoo!

1 comment:

Ben (UMD) said...

Hah - we faced a Division I-AA team this week too. The Diamondback (the student paper) projected something like a 45-6 win for us Terps. Instead we squeaked it out 27-14, much closer than it needed to be.

At least we won, though, unlike the Dookies.