Monday, September 18, 2006

O Say Can UC (Ezra UChicago)


I have had the most insane few days. Awesome, intimidating, tiring, exciting - I don't even know how to feel.

Saturday was a whirlwind of running around campus to get our IDs, a bunch of free stuff (shirts, frisbees, bagels) and of course, moving in and meeting our roommates, housemates and dormmates.

We had Convocation, where among other speeches, Dean of Admissions Ted O'Neil said something to the effect of:

As you may know, U of C is now ranked number 9 by US News. This is a 36% increase from 14th place, where we were only a few short weeks ago. What does this mean? Well, it means that we are now 36% better, and accordingly, will raise tuition by 36%. It also means that 36% of you are no longer qualified to be here. Don't worry, there's another college out in the suburbs that I hear has some new openings.


(I just had to continue the tradition of making jokes for Matthew alone.)

There was the Official Separation from our Parents where we officially crossed under a gate and became Chicago students.

Since then we have had a scavenger hunt around downtown Chicago that lead us to the Cheesecake Factory in the basement of the John Hancock building, lots of meetings about classes and the Core requirements, a game of midnight Clue to fit with our house theme (according to the sign on my door, I killed someone with a wrench. Also I am Professor Plum). We had a flood on the west side of the 8th floor of somehow avoided my room:



We've had calculus placement tests and Spanish placement tests. I take the infamous swim test at 8:40 tomorrow morning. In less than an hour we are going to the Kingston Mines blues club which I am very excited about. To reiterate, it's been and intense few days.

So far I really like it here. In between a Chicago Life meeting and our calculus test yesterday a few of us were just sitting on the grass, reviewing concepts like the Chain Rule that we had all forgotten about, surrounded by amazing ivy-covered neogothic buildings. The weather was perfect, and it felt so college-y.



I'm so tired.

No comments: