Thursday, August 31, 2006

Maya, Ernesto & Sam...Oh My!

I didn't think I'd ever actually write a post but I'm tired of hearing about my own college experience from Ben. So, I thought I'd chime in with my own comments. Although I've only been here since last Tuesday, it feels like nearly a month already. I've never had so many jam-packed days, especially during orientation. I think I was one of the first to head off to college. I made like the Baltimore Colts and shipped out in the middle of the night without warning.

Move in was exhausting but also interesting since I got to meet my roommate for the next year, Elad. He's about five feet (margin of error +/-5in.), loves football, 24, the St. Louis Cardinals, and apparently not speaking a lot to me. We hardly see each other, but as long as he's neat (the jury's still out) everything should be fine. Orientation was a whirlwind of fun, information, and lots of new people. Activities included "Crazies on the Quad" where you go up to random people on the quad and introduce yourself (not awkward at all), "A Taste of Duke" where a whole cow and pig were BBQ'ed (oh, the south), and, as Ben mentioned, a Durham Bulls baseball game.

One of the highlights of Orientation was a convocation address by Maya Angelou (yes, the person from the Rent song, Matthew). She spoke about wiping the ignorance from our backs and sailing down the river of truth…or something like that. As Ben wrote, I described my college experience thus far as “bizarre,” and no activity was more bizarre than partying at Shooter’s (a local bar and club) with…Sam Reiss! I’ve also run into Zach Kazzaz (still full of pizzazz…and one night pizza) and David Eisenband.

The real reason I’m writing this post is that we’re cooped up inside for the moment because of serious rain. Damn you, Ernesto! It’s been raining for the past two days but the news says it should blow over soon and hit…the northeast. There’s obviously much more to say, that Ben will probably say first, but I’ll save other stories for the next rainy day.

Until then, UMD is still not our rival and UNC sucks big time…and its not even b-ball season yet!

No comments: