Thursday, August 31, 2006

Flying the coop

I feel that one of us must undertake the duty of preventing Ben from scoring three straight posts, and so I have decided to take one for the team.

Tomorrow morning I leave for New Haven. One bag has been shipped, the rest are packed, and the floor is back to its normal clean state. I was planning on having an unsentimental evening and getting to bed early, but the DVD of our last winter concert showed up and I couldn't resist. Now I'm back to the laptop, the only item remaining to be packed, and procrastinating before I hit the sack.

It's an odd feeling- you've lived your entire life in one place, and then you hit this point where it's time to pack your life up into a few black bags in the corner of your room, pick up and leave. It's like somebody said, matter-of-factly: "Ezra, you're going to have to start everything over," and I nodded and said (also matter-of-factly) "Well, if that's what people do," and did it without really thinking much. There are a lot of things I'll miss about calling this place home, and I probably haven't realized most of them yet.

The drive tomorrow, split between my dad and me, should be around 6 or 7 hours, barring any major traffic problems in NYC. We'll stay tomorrow night at a friend's house in Fairfield, CT and drive the last half hour Friday morning. I've been trying to predict what state I'll be in when I realize it's for real- I think my best guess is New Jersey. I'll do my best to arrange it so that my dad is driving when it happens.

No comments: