Monday, August 28, 2006

The calm before the storm

And thus enters Ezra the second, possible cause for confusion. The height comparison is questionable.

The past few days have been an exercise in putting off the inevitable. You would think that sending people off to college one by one might make me slowly aware of my own impending departure. Not so. I leave in a mere three days, and all energies are focused on preparing to leave. My normally unteenagerly clean floor is covered with 17 distinct piles of clothing, and most of the day is spent shuttling among the usual stores picking up last minute odds and ends. I'm about to apply for an absentee ballot. And yet none of these things have hit home. No amount of preparation has awoken my mind from its stubborn position that nothing is new. I'm waiting for the shell-shock to kick in.

In the meantime, I'm learning new things every day, like the fact that I have more clothes that I haven't worn in years than I ever might have realized, or that you can vote for a primary while you're 17 as long as you'll be 18 for the election. In short, business as usual.

No comments: