Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Much Anticipated Update

The Much Anticipated Update is here! Hadn't written anything since my kick-off-the-blog post, but that's all changing now...

I'm all moved in now. Got a pretty nice room (incredibly nice by college freshman standards), and we also have a monstrous common room with a kitchenette. It's posh. The common room is big enough that we're thinking of putting a ping-pong table in. Gotta find one first, get it here, and then clear it with the roomies. #3 shouldn't be too much of a problem, #1 might not be that bad either, but #2 is the real killer. To get something that large here, and then in the door could be a major issue.

Anyway, the roomies are real nice. Got some fellow sports lovers here, so that's pretty cool. Our 4th Musketeer didn't move in until just a couple hours ago, because of some complications. He's got type 1 diabetes, and an allergy to wheat gluten. On top of that, he got a meningitis vaccine this past weekend that, in his words, "didn't exactly agree with him." So he was a couple days late. He isn't even sleeping here tonight, so his move in officially starts tomorrow night, I suppose.

Right now I'm still in the "need people to hang out with" mode. That is, haven't met that many friends yet. Talking to David (Duke), it sounds like he jumped right into that whole business. Not so for me. Have met some nice people, but not like David who said he's been with a "different crowd every night."

A bunch of us former HS classmates went bowling last night at the student union, had dinner, and watched a movie. That was fun. But I hope to make a bunch of friends at classes - I suppose that narrows the potential "friend" pool down to some people interested in similar topics as you.

Picked up my books and walked to my classes, to get a sense of where they are today. Not all my books were there, but my classes were so that's a plus. Books can get damn expensive. Spent over $200 and didn't even get my math or economics textbooks, which are my two most expensive.

Overall, I'm in wait-and-see mode. Got a great living space, but gotta wait and see how classes and social life go.

I will post more as things happen, but mostly I'll probably start talking about non-collegey stuff (like the news), because I've read a lot of interesting stuff lately.

No comments: