Friday, October 20, 2006

Treatise on Totem Poles, and the Climbing Thereof


There have been a dearth of blog posts lately. I take that to mean we're all settling in and have been busy and really haven't viewed this as a priority. At least, that's my excuse. I had some time, so I decided to check in...

From everything I've read and heard, if you're ambitious in any field, the key to getting to where you want to be is networking. You need to know the right people, who can help you when you need it. That was true with the Google guys and was probably true of almost any successful person.

That's all well and good, but the obvious question is where do you start? It's not like you can walk up to the President of the United States and ask for a job, or Sergey Brin (one of the Google guys), or Gary Williams. So you have to start small - on the bottom of the totem pole, and work your way up.

That's what I'm hoping will happen, now that I have gotten the position of statistician for the radio broadcast of the Men's Basketball team here at UMD. It's not the most incredible job in the world, but it lets me go to every game (and maybe even travel on the road to a lot of the games - I'll see you at DUKE, David) and more importantly, get to know the influential people at the radio station and among the coaching staff. It's my first in, and hopefully it will lead to bigger things, like getting in touch with the UMD coaching staff or being able to do play by play for the games on the radio sooner.

Meanwhile, roomy and I had our second radio show yesterday. It went very well, proving experience really helps. Above is my view from the station, of the mic and sound board. If you have time on Thursdays at 2:30-3:30, you can tune in by going to http://www.wmucsports.com and following the Listen Live link. Alternatively, we're making efforts to record the shows and then put them online afterwards, but the sound quality isn't incredible.

--

And here's the teaser...Coming up next post: Nathan (William and Mary) weighs in! It's too much of a pain to set him up with an account, so I'll just post what he emailed me. And trust me, it's hilarious.

No comments: