Saturday, October 21, 2006

And Singing the NU Fight Song, Tonight's Musical Guest...

Two stories in this post there will be.

On Wednesday this past week, a CA (community assistant) was walking around our dorm, yelling: "I have extra free passes to go see Borat! Who wants them?!" Naturally I bolted out of my bed and grabbed the passes.

The movie time was 7:00, so I figured, get there at 6:30, I'll definitely get in. Well, at 6:30, they said they weren't letting anyone else into the theater. They hadn't been for at least 10 minutes. Depressed, my friend and I turned around to go, when we ran into an administrator at Hillel named Andrea. After exchanging hugs, she said, "I think I might be able to get us in. I have connections." Now, I thought to myself, there is no way are we ever going to get in to see this movie. We waited around for 10 more minutes, and I was about to leave, when I guy storms out of the theater, goes up to Andrea, and gives her a hug. Turns out, he's the FOX representative that she has been texting and calling inside the theater. He says, "I have some extra seats, come on," and proceeds to barge his way through everyone and get us into the theater. In summary: Borat is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.


Alright, the second story explains the title. Yesterday, Friday, was our homecoming parade, and we were having a special guest come in as our grand marshall for the homecoming parade ( you'll find out soon). So, after eating dinner at Hillel, I met up with some friends, and we wait d for the parade to start. Now, I was anxious to see the grand marshall, and NU alum, and I was hoping that we had the perfect seats. The parade starts, the NU band goes past us, and then, driving up in a car, is the grand marshall:
STEPHEN COLBERT!
Me and my friends are yelling, "We love you Stephen!" As he gets closer and closer, until he is finally 5 feet in front of us. He then turns over to our side of the street, and the car stops. He makes eye contact with me and my two friends, and he says, "Do you know the fight song?" We yell, yes, and proceed to sing the Northwestern University fight song with Stephen Colbert. It was un-fucking-believable. It was one of the coolest things ever. It was as if time was frozen, and for like 2-3 minutes we were alone with Stephen Colbert, one of the funniest men alive.
And, most importantly Ezra, it finally settles our debate and answers the question: even you must now admit, NU is better than UC.

3 comments:

Ezra said...

This would be an excellent time to point out, if Nathan can get on, that Jon Stewart went to William and Mary.

Yet I do not concede defeat - Remember, Barack Obama did teach at my school.

What's that you say? Stephen Colbert visited your school as well, he didn't just go there?

Well, Barack Obama visited my school. Last tuesday. I got his book signed and talked to him for a little while.

I await your reply.

Matthew (Northwestern) said...

My reply-we both know that you love Stephen Colbert-a lot.
A lot.
If Barak Obama becomes president, which he hopefully will, I will admit that you might have a better alumni than Colbert.
Until then-you are down.

Ezra said...

Oh I do love Stephen Colbert. But I will stand by Barack Obama. Because you know, he does stuff.

"The pundits, the pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into Red States and Blue States...We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America."

"...the hope of a skinny kid with a funny name who believes that America has a place for him, too..."